After a car accident, you’re faced with an important question: should you repair or replace your vehicle? It’s difficult to assess which is best during the stress that sets in after a collision. If you’re not sure which is the right choice for you, Main Auto Body, Inc. suggests a few important things to consider as you make the decision.
In many cases, repairing your car is your best bet financially. It can also save you the hassle of car shopping. Choose collision repairs if:
- The car’s value exceeds the cost of damages: If you drive a newer car, there’s a good chance its value is higher than the cost of repairs. In these situations, your investment in body work is a sound one.
- Your deductible is low: Determine how much you’ll actually pay out-of-pocket toward repairs. The amount may be substantially lower than the full cost of body work, making repairs more affordable than you imagine.
- The damage is mostly cosmetic: Your car looks bad – but its looks are the only area of concern. If your auto tech advises that the vehicle’s overall safety, structure and performance are unaffected after an accident, choosing repairs can be more economical and convenient than a new car.
Replacing your car can be costly and time consuming, but sometimes it’s your best option. These situations include:
- The cost of repairs is higher than the value of the car: Check Kelley Blue Book to determine the value of your vehicle. If it’s less than the estimate provided by your repair shop, the car will be considered totaled, and you should replace it.
- Your car is always in the shop: Repairs are a good value for reliable cars, but not worth it for vehicles that require constant maintenance before the accident damage ever occurs.
- Your auto technician recommends replacement: If your auto technician expresses concerns about the safety of your vehicle even after repairs or suggests the cost isn’t worth it, a new vehicle is in your best interest.
The Willamette Valley’s Collision Repair Experts
At Main Auto Body, Inc., our first priority is getting your car back on the road as quickly as possible. Contact us to learn more about our auto body repair services and how we can restore your car to like-new condition.